Saturday 17 November 2012

A Life Unpredicted and other stories

by Joanne Phillips

A friend of mine posted a link to the Kindle edition of this book when it was given away for free. And that was the reason why I downloaded it in the first place. I admit it freely. I don’t have my own Kindle but I can read the books in the cloud with Cloud Reader from my laptop. Suits me, especially in case of short stories. I mean, really short ones.

In most of them, I enjoyed the style, their very shortness and the open-endedness. But, by and large, they failed to touch me. Or make me like their protagonists. Parenting Class and Dear Jean are only two stories which have some traces of humour. Oh well. As the author herself says in the preface, “you don’t have to like every chocolate in the box”. True. But I still prefer the boxes where I like all the chocolates.

No comments:

Post a Comment