Thursday 18 July 2019

Yesterday

a film by Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis

Imagine a parallel universe where The Beatles, Oasis and Coke do not exist but, paradoxically, The Stones, Coldplay and Pepsi do. And why not. Stranger things happen in my own universe. For example, last Friday Tamara mentioned that Riga had been brought to a standstill by Ed Sheeran’s concert. Ed who? The name rang a distant bell. Edward Christopher Sheeran, MBE, that’s who, says Wikipedia. Whatever he did to earn his MBE passed unnoticed by me so far. There’s a ketchup known as “Heinz Edchup”, I learned. Well, I never.

Just five days later, that is, yesterday, I went to see Yesterday in Cines Babel. And there he was, Ed flippin’ Sheeran, quite deliberately making a complete ass of himself playing himself. Not so bad, I have to admit, but the movie would have been great even without him. (Richard Curtis said that his first choice for this role was that of Coldplay’s Chris Martin.) Himesh Patel shines in his debut role, as do most of the cast. Now, who wrote that soundtrack? It’s fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment