Saturday 11 April 2020

Soul Music

by Terry Pratchett

After reading Reaper Man, a decent enough but ultimately disappointing sequel to excellent Mort, it took me another 20 years, a quarantine and lousy internet connection to get to the last part of our well-thumbed copy of Death Trilogy. (Yes yes I know there are more Death novels, they’re just not in this volume.) I liked the story, was not impressed by the ending — and that’s given that the book starts from the end: “Where to finish?”.

OK, where to finish? I wish there was a bit more development with Imp Buddy and less jokes like “We’re on a mission from Glod” but hey, that’s what Soul Music is — a work of master, not necessarily a masterpiece, but a great book anyway in all its glorious wabi-sabiness. I like the idea of Music being the most powerful kind of magic in the world, or at least Discworld. Buddy opening the final show of The Band With Rocks In without even playing Music with Rocks In is a moment of such magic.

In my head, The Band With Rocks In sounds like one of the rockier incarnations of Ozric Tentacles.

Susan swung the scythe. The line snapped.
‘What happened?’ said Volf. He looked down. ‘That’s me down there, isn’t it?’ he said. He turned slowly. ‘And down there. And over there. And . . .’
He looked at the horned female warrior and brightened up.
‘By Io!’ he said. ‘It’s true? Valkyries will carry me off to the hall of Blind Io where there is perpetual feasting and drinking?’
‘Don’t, I mean don’t ask me,’ said Susan.
The Valkyrie reached down and hauled the warrior across her saddle.
‘Just keep quiet, there’s a good chap,’ she said.
She stared thoughtfully at Susan.
‘Are you a soprano?’ she said.
‘Pardon?’
‘Can you sing at all, gel? Only we could do with another soprano. Far too many mezzo-sopranos around these days.”
‘I’m not very musical, I’m sorry.’
‘Oh, well. Just a thought. Must be going.’ She threw back her head. The mighty breastplate heaved. ‘Hi-jo-to! Ho!’

No comments:

Post a Comment