Monday 26 April 2010

UFO in Her Eyes

by Xiaolu Guo

UFO in Her Eyes could have been one of short stories from Lovers in the Age of Indifference, except Guo has developed it into a 200-page book. It consists of three files compiled by Chinese National Security and Intelligence Agency, one file compiled by The Hunan Development Authority between 2012 and 2015, plus three Appendices. Trust me, it is much more interesting than it sounds.

I was hoping for some romantic development between Kwok Yun and bicycle repair man, but no such luck.

Hunan Agent 1989: So people are right when they say you’re a bit of a moody type...

Who said that? The bastards! This place stinks. Everyone wants to eat good meat, nobody wants to pay for it, and then they badmouth you behind your back. Bastards.

HN 1989: Okay, calm down. This isn’t important. Tell me, is it right that you were once famous for killing parasites, back in the sixties?

You want to know my sparrow story? That’s a surprise. Here in Silver Hill no one can stand it any more. But if you really want to hear it, I’m happy to tell it, and you’ll see that I’m not really as bad-tempered as those bastards say.

No comments:

Post a Comment