Monday 24 May 2010

黑眼圈

a film by Tsai Ming-liang

This is the most excruciatingly slow movie I’ve ever seen. I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone makes Sokurov’s films fast-paced and dialogue-rich. Luckily, I did watch the DVD in two installments, both of which still seemed to take forever.

Don’t get me wrong: it is not a bad movie. I don’t mind that, for the most part, nothing seem to be happening. It has several truly beautiful scenes, where not much happens either. The trouble is, somehow I never got emotionally engaged with the main characters. Neither did they get emotionally engaged with each other. Bizarrely, the only love affair that lasts throughout the movie is the one with an old mattress.

The music of the finale song (see the clip) is Charlie Chaplin’s theme from Limelight.

No comments:

Post a Comment