Friday 23 August 2019

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

a film by Jim Sharman

Strange but true: I never saw this cult classic before. That is, until last week, at Filmoteca d’estiu of Valencia. (The first film I watched there, earlier this month, was Life of Brian, back to the big screen for its 40th anniversary.) Once seen (heard), RHPS cannot be unseen (unheard). All of a sudden, the many cultural references of or to it came flooding in. Quite a few people were singing along while waving their glowing mobile phones. An extra bit of entertainment came after the film. One girl, walking behind me, kept complaining loudly and repetitively to her friend about the movie being subtitled in Valencian. “My English is not perfect”, poor thing moaned, “everybody was laughing and I couldn’t laugh with them. So annoying.”

No comments:

Post a Comment