Wednesday 5 February 2020

Young Mr. Lincoln

a film by John Ford

I am not a fan of courtroom drama. So allow me to suggest that, no matter you like this genre or not, you too may enjoy the adventures of young Abe Lincoln (Henry Fonda) as he starts his legal practice in Springfield, Illinois after reading just one thick book. He also indulges in cake competition judging, log splitting, and tug of war. I guess the modern lawyer-centered filmmakers can too learn a trick or two from this classic. It’s not exactly a comedy but it has enough comic elements to keep you awake. Watch out for the judge (Spencer Charters) and Sam Boone, a town drunk turned juror (uncredited appearance of the director’s older brother Francis Ford).

I have to admit that until yesterday I had no slightest idea who John Ford was; thanks to the retrospective by Filmoteca Canaria, I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment