Friday 20 November 2020

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

by Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Just re-listened, the band’s debut album was also the first ELP album I ever heard, back in 1982. It was a part of my high-school classmate’s (or rather his older brother’s) bizarre vinyl collection which also included White Snake, several Kiss albums and some obscure Hungarian rock records. It remains my favourite ELP work ever, and Take a Pebble is my favourite track.

Happy 50th, Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Take a Pebble
Greg Lake
Just take a pebble and cast it to the sea
Then watch the ripples that unfold into me
My face spill so gently into your eyes
Disturbing the waters of our lives

Shreds of our memories are lying on your grass
Wounded words of laughter are graveyards of the past
Photographs are grey and torn, scattered in your fields
Letters of your memories are not real

Wear sadness on your shoulders like a worn-out overcoat
In pockets creased and tattered hang the rags of your hopes
The daybreak is your midnight, the colours have all died
Disturbing the waters of our lives

No comments:

Post a Comment