Saturday 4 June 2022

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

a film by Don Siegel

I think I first came across this cultural reference twentysomething years ago, in a poem by Robert Rankin from Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls:

The Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Thing from Planet Z
The Big Eyed Beans from Venus
The Fiend without an ’ead

The wild wild women of Wonga
Morris the human mole
Loup Garou
The man from the Pru
The Beast from the Bottomless Hole

The Phantom of the Opera
The lad from the Black Lagoon
Vampires and umpires and pirates and poets
The Scotsman who lives on the moon

Turned up on my doorstep yesterday
To say they had put up my rent
I said curse and damnation
(they had an alsatian)
And that’s why I live in a tent.

Another masterpiece that I’ve never seen until now — again, thanks to Filmoteca de Cantabria. According to Wikipedia, this film “was remade several times, including as Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Body Snatchers (1993), and The Invasion (2007).” There must be somebody working on yet another remake named simply Of.

No comments:

Post a Comment