Tuesday 19 May 2009

The Salmon of Doubt

by Douglas Adams

This is the book of assorted short stories, articles for computer magazines, interviews, lectures, letters, and unfinished Dirk Gently novel The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams. It even includes his introductory remarks to Procol Harum and London Symphony Orchestra concert at Barbican. The book consists of three parts, rather arbitrarily named “Life”, “The Universe” and “Everything”; the table of contents does not go any more detailed than that, so you have to browse. Maybe that was the plan. Of course, one can (and probably should) read the book in any order. I was doing it last Summer on holidays, and it still has some sand between the pages. If I had to choose one single story from the book, it would be Cookies (p. 150), “from a speech to Embedded Systems, 2001”.

We went through the whole packet like this. When I say the whole packet, I mean there were only about eight cookies, but it felt like a lifetime. He took one, I took one, he took one, I took one. Finally, when we got to the end, he stood up and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment