Thursday 2 July 2009

Balanço

by Deodato Siquir

Early evening of 9 May 2008, as I was rather aimlessly wandering around Berlin, a dark-haired lady stepped in front of me and addressed me in English. Without much ado, she asked: “Are you free tonight?” As a matter of fact, I was. Not that she left me any time to respond. “Because, you see,” the leaflet was thrusted in my hand so I would see, “there is a jazz concert tonight, and I’d love you to come.” Wow. Was it written on my face that I would be interested? “It is not far from here,” she said, waving her hand somewhere in the behind-my-back direction. (Incidentally, the building just behind my back was Beate Uhse Erotik-Museum. But no, the gig actually was in Quasimodo, Berlin’s oldest jazz club.) “See you tonight at 10.”

That’s how I found myself at the concert of Deodato Siquir & Balanço which was a part of the Copenhagen in Berlin (!) Jazz Festival. “So, you did it after all.” The brunette sounded pleasantly surprised. Apparently, she did a great job: the cellar of Quasimodo was full. And deservedly so.

Balanço is the name of the band as well as Deodato Siquir’s debut album (good thing I bought it then and there: it does not seem to be available at Amazon), and the wonderful salsa-like title song.

Eu quero ver você mexer
e sentir se mais pra qui
pois o balanço chegou estás a ouvir mon ami
é pra ti!

Gostava de ver você mexer
e sentir se mais pra qui
pois o balanço chegou estás a ouvir mon ami
é pra ti!

Foi sim foi o senhor
Quem me mandou trazer pra ti
Pra te animar um pouquinho...

Pra começar te animar balançar com calor

A marrabenta não está má
pois ela vai te convencer
a descolar da parede e mexer
teu pézinho pra dançar

Segura a barona não deixa a cair
Segura a maninha não deixa a cair
Segura a menina não deixa a cair
Segura a maninha...

No comments:

Post a Comment