Friday 17 July 2009

Father Ted

by Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews

Father Ted was aired on Channel 4 between April 1995 and May 1998. Incidentally, that was the time we were living in Leeds and actually had a TV set, but it was not until 1998 when I saw the show for the first time. It was the first episode of Series 3, Are You Right There, Father Ted?, shown a week later than planned out of respect to Dermot Morgan. The whole series is excellent but that particular episode is still one of my favourites.

“I hear you’re a racist now, Father.”
“What?”
“How did you get interested in that?”
“Who said I’m a racist?”
“Everyone’s saying it, Father. Should we all be racists? What’s the official line the Church is taking?”
“No, no...”
“Only the farm takes up most of the day and at night I just like a cup of tea. I might not be able to devote myself full time to the old racism.”
“Good for you, Father!”

No comments:

Post a Comment