Monday 25 October 2010

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

My dearest reader,

you must wonder why anyone in their sound mind would devote any time to this absurd romance, for a mere perusal of its abominable cover makes its very premise & scheme abundantly clear. And yet, three dozen pages on, I found myself quite amused, nay, intrigued & unwilling to give up; by the middle of the book, I was thoroughly engrossed in the misadventures of Miss Bennets, Mr Darcy & assorted officers, not to mention the unmentionables. Worse still, by the last four score pages, I was unable to put the wretched tome down, even for a few short moments. The truth must be said that I would never willingly embark on reading of Miss Austen’s masterpiece if not for the most gratuitous addition of dreadfuls & ninjas in this frivolous edition. Its deficiencies are aplenty; the style, I dare say, is rather vulgar (calling Brighton “that gay bathing-place”? Well I never); but, for want of a decent literary companion, you may as well find Pride & Prejudice & Zombies a delightful reading indeed.

Yours, etc., etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment