Friday 23 March 2012

XIX98

by Arkady Shilkloper, Vladimir Volkov and Sergei Starostin

I’ve got prezzies: my brother just sent me a stack of jazz CDs, including quite a few released by the (now defunct) Russian label Boheme Music. So if you excuse me, I am going to wallow in nostalgia and all that jazz for a while.

Or maybe not. In fact, I never heard this album (recorded, you guessed that, in XIX98) until now.

If I were writing this back then, I would say that “Avant-garde jazz never mixed with Russian folk songs more organically” or something along these lines. In truth, I really didn’t know then, and still don’t know now. How do you measure organic-ness? Shilkloper, Volkov and Starostin perform in such a way that you don’t even think how brilliantly improbable their music is.

No comments:

Post a Comment