Sunday 6 September 2020

Klezmer: 1. La Conquista del Este

by Joann Sfar
preface by Marc-Alain Ouaknin
translated by Manel Domínguez

I discovered this book thanks to Pascin, the earlier work by Sfar. Or, rather, first I discovered, and then read, Klezmer vol. 2, thanks to Pascin, and only after that found (and read) Klezmer vol. 1.

I loved the pen and watercolour drawings, very different from black-and-white ones in Pascin. Some of them reminded me of Quentin Blake’s illustrations; the others are darker, bolder affairs. But all unmistakably Sfar. As Rabbi Ouaknin says in the preface: “Sfar draws in Yiddish like others speak it”. I loved the the author’s sense of humour. I loved the quotes from Babel. The only thing I’m not quite happy with is lettering — some words were a bit of a challenge to decipher! Perhaps the challenge was intended.

So find and read it, in whatever language you can. And don’t forget the notes in the end. It seems that Joann Sfar, apart from being a comics artist, novelist, actor and film director, is also a musician. If you feel inspired and would like to try your hand at klezmer, Sfar recommends The Compleat Klezmer (Tara Publications) book by Henry Sapoznik and music from the accompanying CD.

Play list
(from the author’s notes)

No comments:

Post a Comment