Thursday 9 February 2023

El español es un mundo

by Lola Pons Rodríguez

This illuminating book compiles some eighty* texts written by Lola Pons Rodríguez between 2020 and 2022. Among other things, I learned that

Best of all, the texts (or chapters, or stories, whatever you call them) are short and pleasure to read in any sequence you like. My favourites are: Bienvenidos al Museo de los Engaños; Borgesque 26 de agosto de 1992: un día de furia y libros; and Nazis y peronistas organizan una cita a ciegas, a touching love (and philology!) story of María Rosa Lida and Yakov Malkiel.


* Well, I counted only 79.
I suppose the correct, or more correct, term should be Borgesesque composed of the proper name Borges and suffix -esque, i.e. “in the style of Jorge Luis Borges”. Except it’s quite a mouthful. I prefer Borgesque in a hope that nobody interprets it as “resembling the Borg”, those infamous “Resistance is futile!” cyborgs of Star Trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment