Monday 16 November 2009

July Morning

by Uriah Heep

The very same day, 16 November 2008, after the Christmas Lights Switch-On (see the previous post), I was heading towards The Junction. I was torn between two choices: Uriah Heep or Mor Karbasi? It could be so much easier if they had these two concerts on different dates! In the end, I decided that Mor Karbasi is young and will be around for a while, while Uriah Heep are old and this is my only chance to see them live and alive. (I am glad that I was wrong: Heep played in Cambridge again this year.) Also, I wanted to see Uriah Heep for at least 30 years, that should count too.

No regrets then. Supporting act, the heavy rockers Maccara, were brilliant, especially the singer Hollie Evans. What a voice! But the main course was simply mindblowing. I never saw a ’70s band in such a good shape. (Also, it looked like I was younger than everybody else, except for Maccara guys.) The Heep were promoting their Wake the Sleeper album and played every single song. Plus some great oldies: Look At Yourself, Easy Livin’, Gypsy (starting with an astounding keyboard solo), Lady In Black and, of course, July Morning. That was a solid two-hour set which left me speechless (and half-deaf). Was it worth waiting for all these years? Absolutely.

There I was on a July morning
Looking for love
With the strength of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun

At the sound of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home
With the storm and the night behind me
And a road of my own

With the day came the resolution
I’ll be looking for you

I was looking for love
In the strangest places
Wasn’t a stone
That I left unturned
Must have tried more than a thousand faces
But not one was aware
Of the fire that burned

In my heart, in my mind, in my soul
Uriah Heep live in Cambridge

No comments:

Post a Comment