Sunday 15 November 2009

The Big Switch-On 2009

On Sunday, 16 November 2008, I went to the centre of Cambridge to see the Christmas Lights Switch-On. I joined the parade inconspicuously somewhere around Christ’s Pieces, behind a samba band. It was cold and miserable but I really enjoyed the experience.

One year later: The Big Switch-On again but now I am in the samba band and guess what, it was even better. At 4 pm, we started from Grafton Centre and paraded for about 45 minutes towards the Market Square, looking all festive and sparkly and making most glorious noise. Luckily, the weather was nothing like yesterday. And it is always nice to have people dancing and cheering and taking photos and asking: “What’s the name of the band?” or “Are these <hair> real?”.

What I use (as if anyone cares): Vic Firth® Alex Acuña “El Palo” sticks, Town & Country light duty gardening gloves (so my hands are warm and the sticks don’t slip) and Cool Glow™ accessories (six hours later they still glow).

No comments:

Post a Comment