Sunday 24 May 2009

Knots: Mathematics with a Twist

by Alexei Sossinsky
translated by Giselle Weiss

A few weeks ago, Gilleain lent me this book by Alexei Sossinsky. I have finished it today. It is a curious little book. It was originally published in French (as Nœuds: Genèse d’une théorie mathématique) ten years ago, so I expect it to be not quite up-to-date. At first, it was a fascinating read to me. By chapter 6, my attention started to slip; in chapter 7, I found myself reading the same sentence three times without getting anywhere. It looks like by the last chapter the author himself wanted to finish the book as soon as possible, so he rushed through most of it without proper explanations, which is a shame. Even so, if the goal of the book was to get one interested in knot theory, then it has been achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment