Thursday 11 June 2009

The Most Beautiful Woman in Town & Other Stories

by Charles Bukowski

I’ve just finished reading this amazing collection of short stories by Bukowski. Many of them made me laugh; a couple of stories are so brutal, I won’t read them again. For most of them, the label “contains strong language” will be a massive understatement. The title story is a masterpiece.

From 3 Chickens
so. liquor store. 5th of whiskey. 5 or 6 quarts of beer.
we found an all night market. the place even had a butcher.
“we wanta bake a chicken,” I said.
“oh, christ,” he said.
I dropped one of the quarts of beer. it really exploded.
“christ,” he said.
I dropped another to see what he would say.
“oh, jesus,” he said.
“I want THREE CHICKENS,” I said.
“THREE CHICKENS?”
“jesus christ, yes,” I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment