Wednesday 19 February 2020

The Grapes of Wrath

a film by John Ford

Man, in olden days they knew how to make them movies well — and fast. John Steinbeck published his novel in April 1939. According to Wikipedia, “production on the film began on October 4, 1939, and was completed on November 16, 1939.” The movie premièred in January 1940. How’s that?

I never read Steinbeck’s book and now, after watching the film, I doubt I ever will. I mean, I read enough depressing books in my life and the Great Depression wouldn’t be called that for no reason, so forget it. At least the film offers a glimmer of hope. Henry Fonda is all right as Tom Joad most of the time, at least until the moment when he embarks on that goddamn pompous “I’ll be everywhere” soliloquy. The most likeable character is the ex-preacher Jim Casy portrayed by John Carradine (who also appears in Stagecoach). The children, Ruthie (Shirley Mills) and Winfield (Darryl Hickman) are cute and spontaneous, especially in the scene where they discover “white things, like in the catalogue” (that is, indoor amenities).

Casy: At my meetin’s I used to get the girls glory-shoutin’ till they about passed out. Then, I’d go to comfort ’em and always end up by lovin’ ’em. I’d feel bad, an’ pray, an’ pray, but it didn’t do no good. Next time, do it again. I figured I just wasn’t worth savin’.
Tom: Pa always says you was never cut out for no preacher. I never let one get by me if I could catch her. Have a snort?
Casy: But you wasn’t a preacher. A girl was just a girl to you. To me they was holy vessels. I was savin’ their souls. I asked myself, what is this here called Holy Spirit? Maybe that’s love? Why, I love everybody so much I’m fit to bust sometimes! So maybe there ain’t no sin an’ there ain’t no virtue. It’s just what people does. Some things folks do is nice and some ain’t so nice. That’s all any man’s got a right to say. Course I’ll say a grace if somebody sets out the food, but my heart ain’t in it. Nice drinkin’ liquor.

No comments:

Post a Comment